Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Handy Baking Soda Tip

We've been hit by a nasty little stomach bug around here and I've had an exciting time cleaning up the aftermath. As I sit here, I'm trying to decide if the churning in my own stomach means my turn is coming or if its all psychosomatic.

Once I finished the final clean up after what I hope was the last round of sickness, I could still smell that nasty vomit smell. After checking to be sure it wasn't on me, I realized that it was my carpet. The carpet cleaner did the trick on the mess itself, but didn't kill the odor.

I did what any good mother would do and hit up Google for an answer to my problem. There were quite a few remedies suggested, but the only one that I had the ingredients on hand for was baking soda.

I sprinkled baking soda all over the smelly area and let it to sit for an hour. I threw a towel over it to keep the kids from tracking it everywhere and the baby from trying to eat it. When I went back and vacuumed it up, the smell was gone!

I'm going to recheck the carpet tomorrow and see if the results are the same, but a few hours later it is still working. If the smell doesn't return, this will definitely be a trick that I'll use again.

2 comments:

Dana Prince said...

Great tip. I love baking soda and vinegar for all kinds of tough cleaning jobs, especially where you don't want to use something toxic. I'll have to try this one!
Cheers,
Dana

Shannan Powell said...

Thanks for stopping by, Dana! One of the other suggestions that I read was to use vinegar to kill the smell. I was out of white vinegar and somehow was not attracted to the thought of the combination of the current stench coupled with cider vinegar!

Thanks for being my new "baby's" first commenter! I hope you stop by again and I can provide you with some more useful tips!

Shannan